Existing Oral Appliace Users
What to expect at the beginning
For the first several days the appliance will feel foreign while it is in your mouth. Most patients adjust easily to the tight feeling around the teeth and are able within the first few nights to wear it the entire night. You may experience:
- INCREASE IN SALIVA- usually goes away in few days
- SORE MUSCLES IN THE JAW- tipically gone in few minutes
- CHANGE IN THE BITE WHEN YOU WAKE UP-once the exercises are done your bite will feel normal
When to adjust your appliance
We strive to place the initial position in the ideal spot from the beginning, however everyone is different and your jaw may need to be placed in a more protruded( forward) positin. The following is a list of positive things that would sigal you that minimal or no changes are needed:
- Spouse/bed partner /roommate are saying that the snoring or sounds are significantly reduced or gone completly
- No gasping for air
- Increased dreaming
- Decrease of complete elimination of nighttime urination
- Decreased leg movements(for patients with restless leg syndrome)
- Feeling refreshed upon waking
- Diminished daytime sleepiness
If you are not experiencing any of the above mentioned symptoms it might be a sign that you need to adjust your appliance.
How to adjust your appliance
- Insert the key.You will feel it seat and you can check this by letting go of the handle.The key should stay in the hole without any pressure
- Turn the adjustment key clockwise. One turn of the key is 180 degrees
Only move this between 2-3 turns,this will allow for a more comfortable and gradual advancement and decrease the chances for jaw pain. If ant any time your jaw is too uncomfortable, do not advance the appliance any further until the jaw discomfort has subsided.
- Insert the key in the small hole adjacent to the yellow arrow on the side of the top appliance. You will feel it seat and you can check this by letting go of the handle.
- Rotare handle from the bottom of the yellow arrow. Do this in 90-degree increments or 1/4 turn. This will advance the mechanism .10 millimiter.
Only move this between 2-5 turns,this wil allow for a more comfortable and gradual advancement and decrease the chances for jaw pain. If at any time your jaw is too uncomfortable, do not advance the applliance any further until the jaw discomfort has subsided.
Clean it daily with a soft toothbrush and liquid had soap.Rinse well. Pay particular attention to clean the metal components and the fitting surface to ensure that it is free from all scaling deposits. Dry out your appliance completely before storing it in the container.
Every two weeks soak in a denture cleaner such a a Polident. Soak for 15 minutes,then rinse in lukewarm water and dry your appliance before storing in the container
Please store your appliance out of reach of pets nad small children
DO NOT use toothpaste or mouthwash for cleaning your appliance. It is to abrasive for the acrylic.